Tuesday, February 12, 2013
type 1 for a day.
back in November (yes, it has taken me this long to post...) a couple of my friends participated in JDRF's Type 1 for a day challenge. i didn't have to even bribe them! and one even was willing to write a post about it! how cool is that? i know, i know, i have the of best friends and you are jealous.
Aaron and i have been friends for close to 4 years now, met through school (CollegePlus) and greatly enjoy discussing many things, including diabetes, so it was really neat to hear his take on T1for a day. Without further delay...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What is it like to live with diabetes? That was the question before me. I had no idea but I was interested in finding out. Now, you may be wondering why I was even interested in diabetes. Might it be that I have diabetes? No, I don't. The actual answer is rather simple. My dad has type 2 (T2), one of my grandmothers had T2, and I have friends with type 1 (T1). Add all that to the fact the chances of me getting T2 is pretty good considering family has had it why wouldn't I be curious? So when a good friend of mine with T1 mentioned there is an organization that was conducting a day long “experience” of learning what it's like to have T1 I went for it.
So what exactly was this program I was signing up for? It is called T1D for a Day and it is hosted by JDRF. Their website with the info is www.jdrf.org/index.cfm?page_id=117942 . Even from the website I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting into. What I got was a full 24 hour window of periodic text messages to my cell phone. My first text came around 7:30 a.m. and the last one was at 6:05 a.m. the next morning. There were messages every couple hours and even some at two in the morning (which I was not expecting). For all that I gleaned from the experience it was well worth the few extra minutes out of my day to read through some texts and consider what they messages said.
Like I said, I gleaned a bit of info from this. I woke up to some texts telling me what I would need to think about and do before I got out of bed. This included what I might do during the average day, what supplies I needed to take with me, and what I would need to keep in mind during my day. During the day my blood sugar levels got too high and then later went too low. I had to think on what I would have to do to counteract those physical issues. I soon found out that these highs and lows affected not just my physical energy but also my emotions and attitude. I could get depressed over not regulating my blood sugar or the nagging reminders to consistently check my blood glucose (BG) levels. I soon found out that all these times of checking my BG levels meant pricking my fingers. That would make my fingers feel sore. I also had to make insulin or glucose calculations for exercising, other activities and every meal I ate. As for that nasty two a.m. text, it was alerting me that I was sweaty and confused. Somehow my BG level was really low so I needed to take something to get it back to where it should be. That takes time and if I am confused and tired than I might need help from someone else to get me what I needed. If I didn't get the carbs into my system soon enough that could cause other complications. All this meant I had to stay awake awhile so I could check the levels again and see if I was getting back to where I needed to be. So after the rough night I still had to get up and be ready for work on time later that morning. Oh joy.
In the end I learned a lot. The biggest thing I learned is that, no matter how much I read or how much I sign up for programs like this one, I will never really know what it's like to live with T1 diabetes. I also learned that it's not as easy as just exercising and eating well. It is a part of life 24/7. It affects how a person might feel. It affects what they have the energy to do. It affects how others might see them. It affects what they choose to eat to a larger degree than I have ever really thought on. At the same time, everyone I have talked with who has T1 diabetes gets up everyday and face the same things the rest of us do. They appreciate what they have and make the best of what challenges come up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
thanks for your thoughts, Aaron!
so there you have it. whatcha think? did any of your friends or family participate in this challenge? do you think this is helpful for others to know what a "day in the life" is like for us living with diabetes?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for the round up - really great to hear about it from someone outside of the typical diabetes circle.
ReplyDelete